University of Cincinnati
Click here to view webpage!
M.S., 2007, The Ohio State University
Postdoc, 2010-2013, UC Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
The overall theme of our group is to use our expertise in coordination chemistry, materials science, photochemistry, and electrochemistry to address two frontier challenges: energy and health.
Our programs are highly multidisciplinary. Students will be trained in a broad set of skills and inspired to become critical-thinking scientists with a passion on solving urgent problems from a fundamental science perspective. Currently, we are interested in the following directions:
(1) Inexpensive solid-state materials for renewable energy catalysis and biomass upgrading.
(2) Molecular catalysts for water splitting and carbon dioxide reduction.
(3) Photoactivable complexes and materials for luminescence sensing and phototherapy.
We are constantly looking for graduate and undergraduate students. Motivated students interested in our research projects please contact Dr. Sun (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Selected Recent Publications:
(17) You, B.; Jiang, N.; Liu, X.; Sun, Y.* "Simultaneous H2 generation and biomass upgrading in water by an efficient noble-metal-free bifunctional electrocatalyst" Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 9913-9917.
(16) Jiang, N.; You, B.; Boonstra, R.; Terrero Rodriguez, I. M.; Sun, Y.* "Integrating electrocatalytic 5-hydroxymethylfurfural oxidation and hydrogen production via Co-P-derived electrocatalysts" ACS Energy Lett. 2016, 1, 386-390.
(15) Liu, X.; Dong, J.; You, B.; Sun, Y.* "Competent overall water-splitting electrocatalysts derived from ZIF-67 grown on carbon cloth" RSC Adv. 2016, 6, 73336-73342.
(14) Liu, X.; You, B.; Yu, X.; Chipman, J.; Sun, Y.* "Electrochemical oxidation to construct nickel sulfides/oxides heterostructure with improvement of capacitance" J. Mater. Chem. A 2016, 4, 11611-11615.
(13) You, B.; Sun, Y.* "Chalcogenide and phosphide solid-state catalysts for H2 generation." ChemPlusChem 2016, DOI: 10.1002/cplu.201600029.
(12) You, B.; Jiang, N.; Sheng, M.; Bhushan, M. W.; Sun, Y.* "Hierarchically porous urchin-like Ni2P superstructures supported on nickel foam as efficient bifunctional electrocatalysts for overall water splitting." ACS Catal. 2016, 6, 714-721.
(11) You, B.; Sun, Y.* "Hierarchically porous nickel sulfide multifunctional superstructures." Adv. Energy Mater. 2016, 6, 1502333.
(10) Jiang, N.; You, B.; Sheng, M.; Sun, Y.* "Bifunctionality and mechanism of electrodeposited nickel-phosphorous films for efficient overall water splitting." ChemCatChem 2016, 8, 106-112.
(9) You, B.; Jiang, N.; Sun, Y.* "Morphology-activity correlation in hydrogen evolution catalyzed by cobalt sulfides." Inorg. Chem. Front. 2016, 3, 279-285.
(8) Jiang, N.; Tang, Q.; Sheng, M.; You, B.; Jiang, D. E.; Sun, Y.* "Nickel sulfides for electrocatalytic hydrogen evolution under alkaline conditions: a case study of crystalline NiS, NiS2, and Ni3S2 nanoparticles." Catal. Sci. Technol. 2016, 6, 1077-1084.
(7) You, B.; Jiang, N.; Sheng, M.; Gul, S.; Yano, J.; Sun, Y.* "High-performance overall water splitting electrocatalysts derived from cobalt-based metal-organic frameworks." Chem. Mater. 2015, 27, 7636-7642.
(6) You, B.; Jiang, N.; Sheng, M.; Drisdell, W. S.; Yano, J.; Sun, Y.* "Bimetal-organic framework self-adjusted synthesis of support-free nonprecious electrocatalysts for efficient oxygen reduction." ACS Catal. 2015, 5, 7068-7076.
(5) Jiang, N.; Sheng, M.; Sun, Y.* "Chapter VI: Hybrid molecular-nanomaterial assemblies for water splitting catalysis" Green Photo-active Nanomaterials: Sustainable Energy and Environmental Remediation, 2015, 108-141.
(4) Sheng, M.; Jiang, N.; Gustafson, S.; You, B.; Ess, D. H.; Sun, Y.* "A nickel complex with a biscarbene pincer-type ligand shows high electrocatalytic reduction of CO2 over H2O." Dalton Trans. 2015, 44, 16247-16250.
(3) Jiang, N.; You, B.; Sheng, M.; Sun, Y.* "Electrodeposited cobalt-phosphorous-derived films as competent bifunctional catalysts for overall water splitting." Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 6251-6254.
(2) You, B.; Jiang, N.; Sheng, M.; Sun, Y.* "Microwave vs solvothermal synthesis of hollow cobalt sulfide nanoprisms for electrocatalytic hydrogen evolution and supercapacitor." Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 4252-4255.
(1) Jiang, N.; Bogoev, L.; Popova, M.; Gul, S.; Yano, J.; Sun, Y.* "Electrodeposited nickel-sulfide films as competent hydrogen evolution catalysts in neutral water." J. Mater. Chem. A 2014, 2, 19407-19414.